Terra Nova

Submitted by stephen.page on Tue, 04/28/2020 - 14:06

The Terra Nova - built by Alexander Stephens & Sons in 1884.

It is perhaps best known for being the ship that served the British Antarctic Expedition of 1910 - an expedition commanded by Captain Scott.  Whilst the expedition successfully collected a great deal of information relating to Geology, Biology and Meteorology it was overshadowed by the loss of Captain Scott, Lawrence Oates, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers and Edgar Evans during a trek to the South Pole.

The Terra Nova continued in service, principally around the Arctic waters of Greenland until it sank in 1943.

Launching RRS Discovery

Submitted by stephen.page on Tue, 04/28/2020 - 14:02

Launching RRS Discovery from the slipway near Chandler's Lane: the location is marked today by a sculpture which depicts the hull of the ship.

 

You can learn more of the history of the ship at the award-winning Discovery Point museum.

This and other images form a collection which can be viewed in higher quality at the Local History Department of Dundee Central Library, Wellgate Centre, Dundee

Lanfranc

Submitted by stephen.page on Tue, 04/28/2020 - 13:40

The Lanfranc was built at Dundee's Caledon shipyard and launched in 1906. Measuring 127metres long and weighing around 6287 tons.

Originally serving a passenger service between Liverpool and Brazil, with the outbreak of the First World War it was converted to a hospital ship. The ship however did not survive the war and on the night of 17 April 1917 it was torpedoed by a German U-Boat whilst on route to Southampton. Of the 576 persons on board, some 542 survived the sinking despite the ship descending under the waves in less than an hour after having been struck.

 

Tidal Harbour

Submitted by stephen.page on Mon, 04/27/2020 - 11:43

The tidal harbour, which was located at the entrance to the Earl Grey and King William IV docks.

 

This and other images form a collection which can be viewed in higher quality at the Local History Department of Dundee Central Library, Wellgate Centre, Dundee

Craig Harbour

Submitted by stephen.page on Mon, 04/27/2020 - 11:33

Departing from Craig Harbour - where the RRS discovery is today. The Tay Ferries were locally known as "the Fifies" and continued in service until the opening of the Tay Road Bridge in 1966.

This and other images form a collection which can be viewed in higher quality at the Local History Department of Dundee Central Library, Wellgate Centre, Dundee

Tay Ferries

Submitted by stephen.page on Mon, 04/27/2020 - 11:26

Departing from Newport Pier - the Tay Ferries were locally known as "the Fifies" and continued in service until the opening of the Tay Road Bridge in 1966.

This and other images form a collection which can be viewed in higher quality at the Local History Department of Dundee Central Library, Wellgate Centre, Dundee

City Of Dundee Ship

Submitted by stephen.page on Mon, 03/30/2020 - 10:40

Built at the Caledon Yard in Dundee, The City Of Dundee was a 7,000ton general cargo vessel that saw service until being scrapped in 1984.

This and other images form a collection which can be viewed in higher quality at the Local History Department of Dundee Central Library, Wellgate Centre, Dundee

 

Offshore support vessels

Submitted by stephen.page on Mon, 03/30/2020 - 09:52

Berthed in Victoria Dock in front of HMS Unicorn, with the clocktower warehouse visible in the distance

This and other images form a collection which can be viewed in higher quality at the Local History Department of Dundee Central Library, Wellgate Centre, Dundee